One of the features on the dating site OkCupid is the regular posting of fairly detailed analyses of their members and their behaviours.
The post I read today largely talked about how white people get the majority of emails on OkCupid (and incidentally, that black users get the fewest). But the truth is that white people get the most message because the overwhelming majority of daters on OkC are white. And if you remove them from the equation, daters actually prefer to message people of their own race.
Clearly they have not asked me my opinion about this.
However, a piece of info at the bottom of the article caught my attention.
They sorted the reading level of the messages sent and found that if you’re white, you get smarter emails!! I want can haz smarter emails! I love smart emails! Use a word I don’t know around me and my clothes pretty much fall off.
They also found that if you’re brown, you get sent dumber emails. And if you’re brown and receive an email from another brown person, your emails are the dumbest of all! But if you’re white or Asian, those same emailers class it up a bit!! What gives?!
And I can attest to the dumb email thing. Here are some gems I’ve gotten recently both on OkC and off.
- “OW looks great. Oreo or not, I would cuff her.” (I don’t even know what that means…cuff?? I’m assuming he doesn’t mean “arrest.” )
- “Hey, do you like young guys just for fun.” (I suppose it depends on what kind of fun. Shakespeare festival? Vaudeville night [like the one I’m performing in this weekend], kayaking?)
- “HI YOUR SO PRETTY WUD LUV TO GET WIT U I WERE LOOKING AT YOUR PICS HIT ME WHEN GET A CHANCE WaNNa HoLlA AT U” (wud–, I’m sorry, would he really love to get with me? He doesn’t even know me. How on earth could he even conceive of what a relationship with me would be like at this early stage in the game?)
- “Sexxxy!!!” (There’s something in the brevity I suppose I can appreciate, but what it has in succinctity, it lacks in substance.”)
So what does this mean? Are the browns just self-sabotaging themselves? Or is this more proof that it’s just a delight to be white? That you can be a dating master if you’re alabaster? That you’ll totally win if you have fair skin?
Or just that I should now step away from rhymezone.com?
Let us know what you think in the comments!
And since I like to write about dating, here’s some more:
- As if the above weren’t enough, here’s videoed reasons of why I don’t date black guys.
- Here’s where NBC’s Nightline told black women they should just settle.
- And here’s where I found out The Oreo Experience is also a sex position.
Here’s a link to the whole article.
What do you think?